Do you find the task of writing a blog post a bit daunting? You are not alone!
- Headline – you need a compelling, eye-catching title. Don’t worry about it until the end! It will come to you.
- Opening paragraph – this might answer the question you pose in your headline but whatever you need to get straight to the point! (Alas some of your readers may get no further – attention span is low on the internet so you really need to grab them!)
- The filling – expanding on the opening paragraph. Get it all off your chest now and say what you really want to say.
Use bullet points and lists to break it up. Sub headings are good for this too.
It’s worth noting at this point that you are aiming for 300 to 500 words in total for your blog post. So don’t feel you’ve got to write ‘war and peace’ every time!
- Conclusion – and so, that means…. Sum up your main point here. It may well be a repeat of what you had in your opening line. Don’t worry about that; repetition is good!
- Find an image that illustrates your blog. This is very important! See my blog: Picture this!
- Back to the headline – this is going to be what’s on Facebook and twitter except to draw people in so many Kate, scintillating, funny and/or uplifting.
Examples of headlines:
- Are your feet a thing of beauty? (Podiatrist)
- Have you got a wardrobe full of clothes and nothing to wear? (Image consultant)
- Do you put off writing blog posts, because you think it’s not fun? (Blogger)
That’s it! You’re done.
If you think you’ve got more to say on the subject, why not put it in another blog post and link the two? For lengthier subjects you could have a series of blog posts. Remember, people always scanning pages on the Internet, and only dwell when they find something that really resonates with them.